Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 5 of 25 Christmas Crafts

Today, I had the older kids do craft. We did a lacing stocking.

First I cut out the stocking shape- I did 2 so the kids could put a treat or two in the stocking too. Then used the hole punch to punch holes all the way around it. I cut some string and put some tape on the end- to make it easier to get through the holes. Then I got some cotton balls, markers, glue and we were ready to go!

 I helped the kids put the string through the first hole. Then we tied a knot and taped the end to the back. Then they were off, lacing away their stockings! 
 Once they were done lacing their stockings, we took the extra string and taped it to the back- with a bit of extra for hanging up. Then, the kids wrote their names on the stocking, and put the cotton balls on top! 


 Once they were done with that part, we talked about what they would like Santa to bring them for Christmas. Then they drew that item(s) on their stockings. 

 Then they had their stockings, and kept talking about how they are going to hang them up so Santa can see what they would like for Christmas! 
I also wanted to share our Christmas Countdown. Last year, I bought the kids those chocolate ones. Well, they didn't eat much of the chocolate, because- well it is gross. So, I didn't want to spend the money this year. And, I thought that I could figure something out that worked better, and made more sense than just giving them a piece of chocolate each morning. 

I came up with this. It is a family activity countdown. It will start with 30 days until Christmas. I took plain index cards and cut them in half. On one side, I put how many days until Santa comes- right up until  the 24th- it says "Santa comes tonight". I added a Christmas sticker for effect! Then, the other side has the date, plus a family activity to do. They will take turns taking the date off the wall. They will reveal the family activity, and also get a hersey kiss. Then, at some point during that day, we will do the activity, as a family. 

 Some of our activities are:
~ decorate the house
~ write a letter to Santa
~ Go visit Santa
~ put up the Tree
~ Go see the zoo lights
~ Make Christmas Cookies
~ Make a gingerbread house
~ Go to the mall and pick a toy for toy mountain
~ Do our Christmas cards
~ Drive around looking at holiday lights
~ Family movie night- make pizza, popcorn and watch a Christmas movie
~ Make home made ornaments
~ Make our own Christmas book

and our Activity for Christmas Eve is to read The Night Before Christmas.

I really can't wait to get started with this!


No comments:

Post a Comment