Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Timid Turtle

(I have been on holidays, so crafts are starting up this week!!!)

With all the kids going back to school, some get really shy and upset. Others walk right in and don't look back. But, you know, with each and every one of them, they miss their families at least once through the day.

As I was going through one of the craft books I have, I saw a poem for Timid Turtle. So, I thought this would be a great idea. I changed how we did the craft around the poem, and of course, since I was on holidays, my camera was dead- I forgot to charge the battery when I got home. So, I have after pictures- not during.

First I drew out turtles on half a sheet of green paper. A BIG shell, then 4 legs, tail and head. I then cut out one big brown heart shape (so it fits on the back of the turtles shell), and a smaller pink heart. Then I cut up a bunch of brown pieces in all different shapes. I also cut out a family picture- to fit the shell.

I then wrote the poem on the big brown heart.

I first had the kids put glue all over the turtles shell. Then we added the brown pieces of small paper.

Once that was done, we glued on the family picture- on top of the "shell" pieces.

Then we flipped it over and glued the big brown heart onto the area of the shell. Followed by the little pink one.

The kids loved seeing their turtles! I put some packing tape over Danika's and tied it onto her school bag. I don't have a laminator so, using packing tape works well to keep it safe! Now, she will have her family where ever she goes...

The poem reads
"The timid Turtle said,"I don't want to go"
Mama Turtle said, "School is important you know"
Then she gave the timid turtle a special little heart
To show him how much she loves him whenever they're apart"



No comments:

Post a Comment