Friday, August 17, 2012

Travelling

I can't believe I completely forgot to post about this! This summer, we have done a few road trips. With a couple more to come. For the first one- which wasn't too far, but far enough to need stuff in the car for the kids, I was packing things and putting things near the door to throw into the van, when I was wishing I had something to make it all easier!

Then it hit me- use a bin! We have fabric bins from IKEA that we put toys in- and we have a few extra's lying around the house. So, I grabbed the bin and put the stuff in- YAY!

It gets better. This bin fits right in between their car seats. And, they can reach their own stuff. So, for the trip- I am not constantly reaching in the back to get things to them! It also doubles as a tv stand for the portable DVD player! (which we only take on long trips!)

In the bin, I have everything they might need. Colour wonder colouring stuff- we have the "desk" type things, that hold the markers and pages! (stow and go). We also have some books- they each get to pick their own- usually 2-4 each depending on how long the trip is! We have head phones, and their ipods (they only have these because family members got new ones and these were lying around- but they make trips WAY easier!). Then the movies and portable DVD player. We also bought pirate telescopes when we were in Disneyland this year- so they are in there so they can look out the windows with them!

That stuff keeps them busy! They also have their water bottles in there (I keep a thing of juice and a big bottle of water in the cooler to refill!), and some snacks that they can have whenever- fruit snacks, granola bars- healthy stuff- I keep the junk with me to hand out when I feel like it!

The kids love this bin. Now, it has become a permanent fixture by our front door- just incase we have impromptu trips anywhere, it stays sort of packed- the colour wonder, headphones, and some books and toys are always in there- so we can just grab and go!

This bin has saved us many times since I started using it. I wish I had one in the front for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment